It is almost 3 years to the day that I sent out a plea to Kenyan bloggers and techies to help me build what would become Ushahidi.
Since then it has been a crazy ride…from producing an incredible open source platform and working towards scale, to building and working with an incredibly talented team, to [...]
For those who were asking more resources on the RED Campaign (hat tip @shailjapatel for some of the links):
- Representations of African Women and AIDS in Bono’s Product Red
- Two of its major brands, Apple and Dell, are leading buyers of illegally mined cassiterite, copper, cobalt, tantalum, tin, from the DRC.
- It’s [...]
A reminder of how grim Biglaw life can be.
Though I’m not so sure I’m under less pressure nowadays as a social entrepreneur in the tech space…the pressure to keep up and stay informed is intense.
Al Jazeera TV is my first stop for wider and deeper coverage of international news on TV, especially when it comes to Africa. I think I can safely argue that no mainstream international news channel is covering Africa the way Al Jazeera is today (an aside: I think CNN’s Inside Africa is vastly improved).
Interesting article in the NYTimes.
In my experience parenting has made me better at work…how so?
a lot more focused…no time to dilly-dally if you are managing a household with two kids under three; much better at seeing the bigger picture…kids give you perspective; better at multi-tasking (I’m mum, nurse, story-teller, cook, psychologist, arbitrator, negotiater, [...]
- Can Cape Town become South Africa’s Silicon Valley (interesting debate in the comments as well)? And Nairobi for East Africa?
- Is it just me, or is gender-based sexual violence now a requisite part of political violence (not just war) in Africa?
- Cave-dwelling blogger hasn’t spent money in 9 years. Um. OK.
Trying to get my blogging mojo back, and I have been spending quite a bit of time lately mentoring young students, and it occurred to me that as I’m settling into my 30s I’m developing a set of maxims that guide me…thought I’d share some of them.
- If you want to make something happen, [...]
Lazy, because the links are largely lifted from stuff I put up on twitter [yep, twitter still sucking dry my blogging mojo - it's like color tv vs. black and white].
Anyway, on to the links:
- African Venture Capital Fellows: Program aimed at promoting venture capital in Africa by educating and training future [...]