Trying to get my blogging mojo back, and I have been spending quite a bit of time lately mentoring young students, and it occurred to me that as I’m settling into my 30s I’m developing a set of maxims that guide me…thought I’d share some of them.
– If you want to make something happen, I really believe in speaking it.Â Over and over again.Â No matter how long it takes to get there. Not just to yourself but to others.Â Â It makes it real, it forces you to develop a practical game plan and you become accountable.
– The word no won’t kill you.Â Learn to ask for what you want or go for what you want (women especially).
– On the flip said, learn to say no when it comes to things you don’t want.
– Lately I get asked about my work/family life balance or how I juggle.Â Â I don’t balance and I don’t juggle.Â Everything has to work around my family or it’s not happening.
– When you have children, remember that they are an addition to the family that is you and your partner – without this center the family is nothing…do not make your lives revolve around your kids.
– On the light side.Â No kiddie CDs in my car.Â Â Ever.Â
– If you don’t give back to your community/to society…it’s all meaningless.