From news sources:
- Bitange Ndemo said that news media can broadcast news it just has to be delayed because the Government doesn’t have the technology to censor live broadcasts if there is inciteful information being broadcast.
Death tolls so far (this is from media sources, I suspect number is much higher getting reports of ethnic-based retribution on both sides)
- At least 46 people killed in Kisumu, 20 injured. Running battles still going on.
- 7 people dead in Mombasa
- 40 people dead in Eldoret
- At least 36 dead in Nairobi. GSU heavily guarding city mortuary probably to prevent real death toll from being known. 4 people killed in skirmishes between Mungiki and ODM supporters on Ngong Road
- Govt says Chief General Kianga still in office. There were rumors circulating that he had resigned and that the military is split as far as which way to go.
- ODM inauguration postponed till the 3rd.
From Kenyan Pundit readers:
- Raila calls for mass protests on the 3rd (seen on Al jazeera)
- Mutua says that the blackout is targeted towards vernacular radio in particular.
Where to get updates:
- We still can’t seem to get Al-jazeera where I’m staying, but I’m hearing K24 is broadcasting.
- BBC also seems to have stepped up their coverage.
-There’s a run on supermarkets. the line at Nakumatt junction has reached the entrance of junction. Uchumi on Ngong road limiting how many people can enter the store.
- Shortage of credit for mobile phones in Nairobi. Guys relying on sambaza.
- It’s business as usual in Central Province. There were celebrations and parties yesterday. A friend of mine in Kiambu says that there’s zero police presence there.
- Raila press conference to be held in the afternoon. Will report on that.